About Us

About the Hermiston Herald

The Hermiston Herald was founded in 1906 by Horace Greeley Newport and William Skinner.

Jerry Reed, whose history with the newspaper dates back to 1969, assumed full ownership of the Herald in 1974.

In 1992, Western Communications, Inc. of Bend purchased the paper from Reed.

Effective April 30, 2008, Western Communications Inc. sold the newspaper to EO Media Group. EO Media Group owns a number of other newspapers in the Pacific Northwest, including the East Oregonian, The Astorian, Capital Press, Blue Mountain Eagle, Wallowa County Chieftain, La Grande Observer, Baker City Herald, Bend Bulletin, Redmond Spokesman, Coast River Business Journal, Chinook Observer, and a quarterly magazine called The Other Oregon.

The Hermiston Herald provides Hermiston with distinctively local news, sports, information and advertising online every day and in print every Wednesday. The newspaper is printed on the East Oregonian press in Pendleton and distributed by mail.

In May 2020, the Hermiston Herald became a free weekly newspaper, mailed to 14,500 addresses in western Umatilla County and eastern Morrow County, Oregon, including Hermiston, Umatilla, Stanfield, Irrigon, and Boardman. In addition, several hundred free copies will also be available for pickup at area racks and inside stores.

When the Herald was celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2006, Reed commented "you'll never find a good newspaper in a bad town or a bad newspaper in a good town and Hermiston is a great town."

The Hermiston Herald's offices are located at:

333 E Main St
Hermiston, OR 97838
541-567-6457
editor@hermistonherald.com