ECHO — A fire burned through an attic at a home in Echo on Friday. Echo Fire Chief Delbert Gehrke said no one was harmed in the fire.

The Echo Rural Fire Protection District at 10:08 a.m. received an emergency call-out for fire in the home at 300 S. Dale St. and sent two engines. Nine minutes later, Echo fire asked other agencies to respond. Umatilla Fire District 1 out of Hermiston answered the call with a command vehicle and fire engine.

Gehrke said the blaze was in attic, which was partitioned and made the attack difficult. Fire crews fought for about two hours before extinguishing the flames.

Three people were in the rental home, Gehrke said, and all escaped uninjured. He also said the home sustained heavy smoke and water damage, though the structure is intact.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.