STANFIELD — A blaze at a Stanfield home was likely caused by a flue fire, Umatilla County Fire District officials said.
Fire crews responded to a call at a home on North Ash Road in Stanfield on Tuesday afternoon, around 2:30 p.m. No one was in the home at the time of the fire, according to fire marshal Scott Goff.
“It was contained to one building, and was knocked down in less than 30 minutes,” Goff said. “But with these older farm houses, it got into some of the void spaces.”
Goff said the fire started in the basement, and got into the floor space between the basement and the ground level. Goff said the house belongs to Larry Newman, a former board member of the Stanfield Fire Department.
He said the damage was fairly extensive, but probably repairable.