Home News Local News

Hermiston teen stable after tree accident

Hermiston sophomore has undergone multiple surgeries since a tree fell on her Friday.
By Jayati Ramakrishnan

Staff Writer

Published on October 31, 2017 5:58PM

Umatilla County Fire District 1 personnel load a patient into an ambulance in the 2000 block of NW 11th St., Hermiston, Friday afternoon.

Staff photo by Jade McDowell

Umatilla County Fire District 1 personnel load a patient into an ambulance in the 2000 block of NW 11th St., Hermiston, Friday afternoon.

Buy this photo

Community members are raising money for a Hermiston girl who was hit and injured by a falling tree.

Jordan Larson, a 15-year-old Hermiston High School sophomore, was taken to Kadlec Regional Medical Center, Richland on Friday afternoon after a tree fell on her. She was then transported to Seattle for further medical treatment, where she remained as of Monday.

Ivy Coons, Larson’s mother, said her daughter is doing better after two surgeries immediately after the accident.

“They’ve been able to remove the tubes from her throat,” Coons said. “She had to have two blood clots removed from her head. They have removed the drain tube from her chest.”

Coons said her daughter’s eyes were swollen shut, and she initially had to be restrained to prevent her from touching her face and head. Larson was in and out of consciousness.

She said doctors told her that her daughter may be moved out of intensive care by the end of the week.

Coons said her daughter was taken to Good Shepherd Medical Center, Hermiston, and immediately flown to Richland for treatment on Friday. From there she was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

“The first surgery she had, I was on the road,” Coons said, adding that it took place within an hour of her daughter arriving at the hospital and was to remove a blood clot in her brain. That surgery, she said, revealed a second blood clot which required a second surgery.

Coons said her daughter is now responsive and recognized her.

“She just asked me for root beer,” Coons said by phone on Monday afternoon, from her daughter’s hospital room in Seattle.

A friend of the family has set up a GoFundMe page for the family, to help them with medical and utility bills.

“Ivy’s a single mom,” said Irene Zaragoza, who set up the page with a goal of $5,000. “She’s not working now, she had to take time off.”

Zaragoza said things are looking better than they were the first few days.

“She was really fighting for her life,” Zaragoza said. “Ivy said it’s a long tunnel, but there’s a light at the end of it.”

Coons agreed.

“Friday was the worst night of my life,” she said.

Coons said she does not know much about how the accident happened.

“I don’t know whose house it was, I don’t even know who gave the report,” she said.

She said she found out when she was at work, and one of her daughter’s friends sent her a message telling her she needed to come to the emergency room.

According to Umatilla County Undersheriff Jim Littlefield, property owners in the 2000 block of Northwest 11th Street were cleaning up their land around 1 p.m. Friday, and there was an old shed supporting a tree with rotten roots.

Littlefield said when the people on the property tried to remove the shed, the tree gave way and fell on Larson.


Contact Jayati Ramakrishnan at 541-564-4534 or jramakrishnan@eastoregonian.com


Share and Discuss


User Comments