Home News Local News

Hermiston History: Officer wounded while responding to harassment call

Published on September 13, 2017 7:04AM

Law enforcement officials hold gunman Timothy Johnson down as he is placed in restraints. Johnson was arrested following an hour-and-a-half standoff with nearly 20 police officers from six agencies. Hermiston officer Jim Littlefield was shot and wounded during the incident.

Herald archive

Law enforcement officials hold gunman Timothy Johnson down as he is placed in restraints. Johnson was arrested following an hour-and-a-half standoff with nearly 20 police officers from six agencies. Hermiston officer Jim Littlefield was shot and wounded during the incident.

Buy this photo


September 15, 1992

• At first it seemed like any regular investigation — respond to a report of a guy in his yard beating his dog and harassing his neighbors. But things quickly turned ugly last Wednesday as 35-year-old Timothy Johnson began shooting at anything that moved. His first target — Hermiston Police Officer Jim Littlefield. “I heard the shot and felt something in the left arm,” Littlefield said, lying in his bed at Good Shepherd Community Hospital. “I knew it was bad because I couldn’t move my arm.” Littlefield was wearing his bullet proof vest, but because of the angle from which the bullet came, the vest offered no protection. “It just missed hitting the vest. If I had been sitting (in a different position) it would have hit it. Littlefield said he could still hear the bullets hitting his patrol car as he slammed it into reverse and backed down the street. The other officer responding to the call, Sterling Hall, drove forward to meet Littlefield and helped direct him back the rest of the way down the street. When the two officers were out of the immediate line of fire, they stopped and waited for an ambulance and for other officers to arrive. Littlefield, whose left arm was almost completely shattered by the bullet, said that although he faces a long period of rehabilitation, he hoped to return to active duty soon.

• Both the boys and girls from Hermiston High School made impressive showings Friday as the Bulldogs cross country teams kicked off the 1992 season by playing host to the Hermiston invitational meet at the butte. Hit hard by graduation last spring — six of the top eight Bulldogs picked up where the outstanding 1991 squad left off. Freshman Juan Sanchez and Chad Hagemann and sophomore Don Rome paced the Hermiston assault by running 1-2-3 in the boys race, with all three beating the meet record in the process. Sanchez set the new standard with an 18:04. Hagemann 18:08 and Rome 18:11.


September 14, 1967

• Enrollment in Hermiston public schools reached a new high of 2,365 students Tuesday, September 12, one week after the first day enrollment of Sept. 5th. This was an increase of 49 over the 2,316 reported a week ago. This is a record enrollment for the Hermiston system, Superintendent Armand O. Larive related. This year’s enrollment now is approximately 100 more than a year ago. Broken down by schools, it stands as follows: Hermiston Senior High, 546, including 16 in special education; Junior High, 615’ Rocky Heights, 147; West Park, 524; Sunset, 533.

• The Hermiston Chamber of Commerce float, “Let Beauty Reign”, a consistent prize winner this summer, won second place among commercial floats in the Dress-Up Parade at Pendleton Saturday night.

• Cold Springs Reservoir is dry and all irrigation supplied by Hermiston Irrigation District has been cut off for the past week and will continue to be for the season, Jim Bevan, irrigation district superintendent, announced. However, the local area received its first measurable rain during Sunday night and in the pre dawn hours Monday, greatly alleviating the situation. No more than a trace of rain had fallen during the summer, with a light rainfall in mid-June preceding the summer-long drought. Temperatures were already in the 90s the week of June 21, first day of summer and remained in the 90 and 100 degree mark and above since. City water Superintendent Julius “Dude” Woodward noted that the lack of water for irrigation is equally applicable to city residents using Hermiston Irrigation District water as it is to the farmers. “When the pond goes dry, there’s no water left,” he said.


September 17, 1942

• Registration of would-be voters in the coming November election is now open at the Oregon Hardware & Implement Co., with Mrs. Charlotte Rauch in charge. The books will be open until October 3 as the law requires that all registrations must be made 30 days prior to the election. Anyone living in the state six months and 30 days in the precinct may register. Anyone who failed to vote at the last election or who has changed residence to another precinct must register in order to be eligible to vote in November.

• The first Hermiston business to succumb to the pressure of the war was the Hermiston Laundry, which has been operated for the past year in the Dr. L.W. Morgan building by Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Elkins. Mr. Elkins has been called into the U.S. Navy and is now attending a radio school at Stillwater, Oklahoma. He left several weeks ago and since that time the firm has been operated by Mrs. Elkins, but the pressure of business became too heavy for her to continue. Just what disposal or new arrangements will be made of the equipment has not been announced but Dr. Morgan said an attempt is being made to obtain a new operator.


September 15, 1917

• William Kik, a rancher living north of town a short distance, has no kick on a dairy cow he owns, and were it not for the fact they do not give medals to animals that make a record like this one has, his Bossie would now be wearing a metal insignia or a blue ribbon — not for the quantity of milk or the amount of butter fat she produces, but for her propagation propensities, as shown in the number of calves she has brought forth in less than 12 months. Eleven months ago this dairy animal gave birth to twin calves, and a few days ago she went one better by becoming the mother of triplets — all heifer calves at that. With the proven productiveness of this cow, there is no doubt that it would take a small fortune at this time of the great demand for food conservation to wrest her from the present owner.

• The contracting firm of Boyton & Longhorn are progressing with the work of erecting an office building on the west side of Main Street to be used as the new home of The Herald. The building, when completed, will be 18x40, one-story high. The contractors have secured Henry Ott to do the cement stucco and plaster work. The building was designed for a comfortable printing office, and when this paper is transferred to the new quarters the latter part of this month it will be with the intent of permanently locating The Herald plant therein.

• As soon as The Herald moves to its new home on Main Street the store room now occupied by the paper will be taken by Messrs. White and Rayhill, who formed a partnership the first of the month and already have a complete line of gents’ furnishing goods ordered and on the way. They will endeavor to give the grand opening of the new enterprise to the town and country people of Hermiston on October 1.


Share and Discuss


User Comments