Home News Local News

Early morning fire damages duplex, puts family out of home

By

Hermiston Herald

Published on March 8, 2017 6:56AM

Firefighters work to contain a duplex fire in the 900 block of Orchard Avenue early Tuesday morning.

Contributed photo

Firefighters work to contain a duplex fire in the 900 block of Orchard Avenue early Tuesday morning.


A fire in Hermiston did extensive damage to a duplex early Tuesday morning, putting a family of six out of their home. No one was injured.

Umatilla County Fire District 1 responded at 3 a.m. Tuesday to the 900 block of Orchard Avenue to put out the fire. Scott Goff, a UCFD volunteer, said there was fire, heat and smoke damage in one of the units and smoke damage in the other.

Goff works for the Oregon State Fire Marshal’s Office, but was speaking on behalf of the UCFD. He said the fire appeared to have been started by a malfunctioning furnace.

The American Red Cross is providing aid to two adults and four children, according to a press release.

The Umatilla Rural Fire Protection District also sent firefighters to support the effort, Goff said.



Share and Discuss

Guidelines

User Comments